Do you follow a skin care regimen? If you don’t, then these 6 facts might motivate you to start. What you don’t know about your skin may cause it to age faster than it should. Skin care is so important in a woman’s overall self-care routine. Here are 6 things you need to know about your skin that may cause you to take better care of it.
- Your skin is composed of two main layers, the epidermis and the dermis. The epidermis, or outer layer of the skin, is a tough, protective layer. The dermis, or inner layer, is thicker than the epidermis and provides your skin its strength and elasticity. The dermis houses fibroblast cells which are responsible for producing collagen and elastin. Exfoliation and increased cell turnover trigger these cells to jump into action, thereby stimulating collagen and elastin production for more youthful looking skin.
- 90% of aging is the result of UV exposure! Only 10% is caused by natural aging. Protect your skin all year long with sunscreen.
- Your body – and ALL types of skin – needs water to survive.
- Skin cell turnover naturally slows with age. You can promote cell turnover and more youthful and healthier looking skin with the use of natural exfoliants.
- Skin cells repair at night, making it essential to using a night time moisturizer to enhance this benefit.
- The skin around your eyes is delicate and thinner, making specialized eye care essential.